5 Years Of Propecia. What Do I Do Now?

Hello everyone, I’m going to skip the “my story” part because I don’t think I can handle telling it today. The reason I’m here is because Propecia is starting to lose its effectiveness. I guess that’s why they stopped the trials after 5 years. I’ve been losing my hair since I was 18 and started on Propecia when I was 22. For the longest time I felt it was good enough, even though that was not reflected in how I lived my life. I tried Minoxidil for about 4 months when I started Propecia but i found it hard to use and it was not something I would be able to maintain for the rest of my life. I’ve been on Propecia only for the 5 years and started Nizoral around 8 months ago. I’m somewhere in between a NW2 and a NW3. After the first year of Propecia, it looked like I was losing very little hairline every year, which was fine because I was aiming for a HT or just living with it by the time I’m 30. But now it looks like I’m losing hair on my temples by the month.

I’m not sure what to do now. Should I move to Avodart or up my fin dosage? I’m also gonna get Saw Palmetto. I’m really nervous right now and the illusion of hope looks like it’s going to crash on itself. I sure hope I can get some advice here.

It will be working - you are simply loosing ground in the front where finasteride is least effective. It will be certainly helping the mid/crown without a doubt in my opinion.

Consider easing off the nizoral to only 1 x a week.

Also Propecia is expensive - consider Proscar and cut into 5ths or 4ths even as SAME drug but much cheaper!

A good source is Ukfinasteride.info

Best

Spex

Thank you Spex for replying. I agree with you, I’m still way better off being on it than off.

I’ve been using Nizoral only once a week since I’ve got it. I know it can cause the hair to be really dry so I’ve tried not to be too aggressive with it.

I’ve already purchased Proscar yesterday night as my Propecia supply finished. I was thinking of trying 2.5mg first. I know there are issues about not knowing how much fin you’re taking by cutting it into 4/5 pieces

taking any more than 1.5mg per day is pointless. Don’t give up hope - I’ve heard of people who have successfully maintained on Finasteride for 15+ years.

As for Dutasteride - I think the jury’s still out. It’s almost certainly more effective than Fin, but may have a greater risk of unwanted side effects. It isn’t approved for use as a MPB treatment, although that may well be down more to financial reasons than any inherent ‘danger’ with the drug. Developing a new drug is a very expensive business and the pharma corps need to make sure they make profit.

You could try to discuss your options with a doctor, although doctors with expertise on MPB and MPB treatments seem to be thin on the ground sadly.

Did you experience any side effects with Fin? If not, you might be OK with Dutasteride. I’m not sure where you can buy it from though.