Cutting Down Finasteride?

because of the watery/lack of semen problem I want to cut down the amount of Fin I take but don’t want to jepordise my hair

currently I take 1mg per day - what might be a good lesser dose without affecting its effectiveness at preventing MPB?

1mg every other day? or skipping one day a week? skipping two days a week?

what do you think?

Stats show.5mg is as effective as 1mg - therefore you could start off .5mg every other day and see how you roll.

0.5 would be really tricky, because I’d have to cut each pill into 10 pieces!

I think I’m going to continue with 1mg per day, but skip Wednesdays and Sundays.
I hope that won’t affect my hair too much

I’ve also noticed pain when ejaculating. I wonder if that’s connected to finasteride too?

Dr. Ashcroft sent me this reply - it may be of interest:

you could reduce the dose but it may not stop the effect. The finasteride blocks teh production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from testosterone, and it is DHT that stimulates the prostate gland and also other glands that contribute to the semen. The number of sperm shouldnt be affected and shouldnt reduce fertility, and should reverse on stopping finasteride, but may take many months to reverse as the glands respond to the DHT over time … ultimately the prostate gland becoming enlarged and pressing on the urethra causing problems with urination, which is why finasteride was developed in the first place of course.

I’ve been thinking about the question of Finasteride amount and lessening side effects.

Dosage may have an effect on hairloss but not necessarily on reducing/increasing side effects. Whether you take 0.5, 1, 2, or 5mg doses, the amount of DHT suppressed is more-or-less the same. And it’s the DHT suppression (presumably) that causes the unwanted side effects, not the drug itself. Therefore reducing the amount you take may not lessen side effects, but may cause you to lose more hair.

[quote]Dosage may have an effect on hairloss but not necessarily on reducing/increasing side effects. Whether you take 0.5, 1, 2, or 5mg doses, the amount of DHT suppressed is more-or-less the same. And it’s the DHT suppression (presumably) that causes the unwanted side effects, not the drug itself. Therefore reducing the amount you take may not lessen side effects, but may cause you to lose more hair[/quote]

Can you explain this a bit further as I’m not sure what you mean by saying DHT suppression is more or less the same but hair loss may increase with smaller does? I thought that suppression of DHT reduced hair loss.

PS - can no-one get rid of this annoying twat Bruce and his spam?

from 0.5mg upwards roughly the same amount of DHT is supressed - that’s why the graph goes flat. So if you’re looking to try and lessen side effects you’d have to take a pretty small amount to make any difference (maybe 0.2mg). But at the same time, a dosage that small may not suppress enough DHT to stop balding - so you might as well not take anything at all.

In other words you can’t have it both ways. The right dose also probably depends from person to person - everybody responds differently. Taking less then 0.5mg per day seems pointless to me. I’ve been experiencing pain when ejaculating which I think might be cause by Fin, so it’s why I considered lowering the dose. 0.5 alternating with 1mg the next day sounds like a good compromise to me. Unfortunately I use 5mg pills, so cutting them like that is near impossible.